What Equipment Do I Need to Start a Pack Dog Walking Business?
Today I’m talking gear! Every walker has their own preferences, but this will give you an idea of the essentials I tote with me each day. If you’re just starting out and are on a budget, keep in mind you don’t need multiple leashes, harnesses and such until you have multiple dogs to walk, so you can build your gear as you gain more clients if needed.
- First Aid Kit (one for you, one for the dogs)
- Cell phone with phone charger for car
- Collars with ID tags that have your phone number on them
- Citronella spray (to scare off aggressive dogs/break up fights)
- Leashes (have at least one extra in case you need a spare)
- Long line (my pack walks are off-leash, I test all new dogs on long line prior to letting them off)
- Bait bag
- Poop bags & dispenser
- Paper towels
- Grooming wipes
- Dog brush & comb
- Hand wipes/hand sanitizer
- Nature’s miracle
- Antibacterial cleaning wipes
- Glass cleaning wipes (for nose prints of course)
- Trash can (I use a container intended to store cereal)
- Kurgo tailgate dumpster for full poop bags (if trash cans aren't accessible. You can also just tie them on your windshield wiper).
- Key cap covers in an array of colors or other key id solution (if not using lockboxes)
- Key chain to hold lots of keys
- Water bowl & water jug
- Business cards